Managing Windows Firewall settings with a GPO can save administrator's time. This document describes how you can create and update a group policy object to change the Windows Firewall Rules and Settings.
1) Launch GPMC.MSC and Navigate to the organizational unit where you want the GPO applied.
2) Right Click on the OU, and select "Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here.."
3) Edit your new GPO to include a proper GPO name.
- Navigate to the Windows Firewall section under Computer Configuration ---) Policies ---) Windows Settings ---) Security Settings ---) Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, Right-Click Inbound Rules and Select "New Rule"
- For Rule Type select "Port"
- Select TCP
- Select Specific Local Ports and Enter 22, 135, 139, 443, 445, 5985, 1024-5000, 49152 - 65535
(Note: 1024 - 5000 is only needed for Legacy machines e.g. XP and 2003)
- Click Next
- Select Allow the Connection and click the next button.
- Select which network type you would like this rule to apply to and click the next button.
- Complete the configuration and push the GPO to the end points.